sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy And Other Stories by Tim Burton

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories - Tim Burton

I bought this on sale, very cheap, much cheaper than I would have expected, being from such a well-known person as Tim Burton is. The cover is lovely, and flipping through the pages made me curious.

This is a collection of short stories in the form of poems and illustrations, and they all follow children who happened to be born different. Unnaturally different. The stories are tragic, sometimes cruel, but they all have a little humor thrown into them, so that the result is quite charming. My favourite story is the one that gives the book its name, the one featuring Oyster Boy.

This was an okay book for me. I preferred the illustrations over the poems, since I didn't find them all that special or brilliant (even though there were plenty of metaphors for real world situations). Still, this is a pretty little book that is worth having, specially if you like Tim Burton, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who isn't familiar with his work.