sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot
SPOILER ALERT!

Fables Vol. 2: Animal Farm

Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha

After reading (and being totally unimpressed by) the first volume of this series, I decided to give "Fables" another shot, simply because I wanted to understand why this is acclaimed widely as an amazing comics series. After the underwhelming first volume I was weary, but still hopeful. And, as it turns out, with good reason.

Taking inspiration from Orwell's Animal Farm, this volume follows the story as the non-human looking Fables, forced to live away from the eyes of the non-magical population, decide to rebel against their more human looking counterparts, who live in recluse in New York City. With a half-baked plan to overthrow their "oppressors" and then invade the lands that were taken from the Fables by "The Adversary", characters like the Three Little Pigs, the Three Bears, Shere Khan and Baghera, led by Goldilocks, champion a revolution by overthrowing Weyland Smith, the mayor of the Farm, and enslaving him so they could force him to make weapons modified for use by the non-human Fables. Snow White and her sister, Rose Red, get caught up in this affair when they go visit the farm (Rose on community service because of the events in the last book) and Snow is forced to take matters into her hands, while her sister seems to fall in with the traitors.

The characters were all much more fleshed-out, staying true to their storybook originals, but still showing a twist (often very macabre) that made them interesting and unexpected. However, if you were annoyed by Rose Red on the first volume, be prepared - she is still an arrogant, spoiled brat, and Snow White's naivety towards her is sometimes infuriating. The story is much better as well, and this time I found myself caring about what would happen next. The jokes were also funnier and didn't feel forced at all, just part of the story and world.

All in all, a huge improvement over the last one (however, I still think it has the potential to get better). I will definitely keep reading this series.