sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

The Walking Dead, Book 1

The Walking Dead, Book One - Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn

After all the hype surrounding this series, I came to it with my expectations maybe a bit too high. Post-apocalyptic stories about zombies have been done before, so I wasn't expecting an incredibly original story, but I was hoping for some good character development and a solid storyline.

Did this book have it? Yes, though not as much as it could. The story starts a bit too suddenly and I had trouble getting into it at first. Also, I didn't connect with any of the characters. The women were mostly pitiful and weak and the men all seemed to go crazy (there were a few exceptions, mostly with secondary characters though). I hate to think that in a disaster we'd all default to that - though to be fair I can't say for sure we wouldn't, at least for some people.

As a survival story, this is pretty accurate in that most of the time is spent looking for basic needs, like food and shelter. The story is fairly interesting, and it gets better in the second chapter, but I still think it has room to get better. I'll be checking out the rest of the series, but I sincerely hope the characters grow up a little.