sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

American Gods

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Before I begin, I should say this is one of those books which have made such a deep impact on me that I find it difficult to talk about them. You have been warned.

If I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would be "epic". It manages to explore so many themes that, at times, it gets a bit overwhelming. It mixes religion, love, faith, society, technology, friendship, and it does it in such a seamless and clever way that is truly impressive. It's a novel about old gods, and the way they changed when they came to the New World, the new gods that have appeared. It's a novel about what exactly it means to be a god. It's about America as a land of opportunities, of possibilities of escape and new beginnings. It's about the darker side of people. The story is very interesting and intricate, but it's not the focal point of the book. For me, this book was more of a reflection than an actual story.

However, what I liked the most about this book was the way it explored faith and belief, the pillars of any religion. If I was really nitpicky, I would complain about the fact that Neil Gaiman chose to include only the very old and the very new gods. Christianity is the most notorious absentee, with Christ only being discussed once (that I remember) and very briefly. But honestly, I didn't miss it all that much. I was just curious about how it would be approached if it had been included.

I feel like I am already failing to say what I wanted about this book. I will say though that it was deeply entertaining, interesting and thought-provoking. I recommend this to everyone.