sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art - Scott McCloud

Having already read Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels (also by Scott McCloud), I knew I was going to like this one as well.

I read Scott McCloud's other book because when I searched for this one it was unavailable, and I was too eager to learn more about comics to wait. I don't regret it, but I do think this one is a better starting point, with a more general (but still very detailed) overview of the comic book world. From a historical study of comic's predecessors, to a research about what makes this a distinct art form, there is bound to be something interesting here, whether you're a long term comic book addict or a new comer.

The chapter on the "invisible" part of comics, that is, the space between the panels, which the reader fills in, was one of the most interesting, as was the chapter about art and what moves humans as artists. At some points you could tell this was written over 20 years ago, but most of the discussions still feel fresh nowadays.

This is a great book that I recommend to anyone who is interested in comics.