sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

Black and Brown Planets edited by Isiah Lavender, III

Black and Brown Planets: The Politics of Race in Science Fiction - Isiah Lavender,  III

A different perspective of science fiction studies, focusing on how race and ethnicity are portrayed in visions of the future. I consider myself a science fiction fan, and still, my reading list grew exponentially as I was reading this book. There’s so much material out there that I wasn’t aware of, so many perspectives I had never considered. It was definitely an eye-opener.

This is an academic book, and consequently, some of the essays are a bit dry, but the interesting ones kept me hooked. I particularly liked the essay on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s Benjamin Sisko by De Witt Douglas Kilgore, the essay on the importance of science fiction to black children’s literature, by Marleen S. Barr, and the one about virtual reality as a highly politicised space, by Matthew Goodwin. The highlight, for me, was Malisa Kurtz’s exploration of Paolo Bacigalupi’s The Windup Girl, which has been on my to-read pile for a while and has now moved to the top of said pile.

Recommended if you’re a fan of science fiction and you want to expand your horizons.

Note: I got this book for review purposes through NetGalley.