sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

A Simbólica do Espaço em O Senhor dos Anéis de J.R.R. Tolkien

A Simbólica do Espaço em O Senhor dos Anéis de J.R.R.Tolkien - Maria do Rosário Monteiro

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time when I was 13, and The Silmarillion and all the others after that, but strangely enough I never read any academic research on it, until this one. I'll be sure to search for the works that are mentioned in this book's bibliography.

This is a well-researched interpretation of several places in The Lord of the Rings, written in a language that is adequate to a systematic study of a lyrical subject, without falling into the usual trap of being too dry or indecipherable. It starts off extremely well, with an explanation of fantasy literature and its place and acceptance among other genres. However, the chapters about LOTR itself could have been more ambitious. I felt that the interpretation was at times very simplistic or rushed. And the conclusion confused me - why start a rant against Portuguese cultural agents in a book like this?

Still, this was a good book and I'm happy to see such great work being written and published in Portugal.