sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

Zombie Survival Guide

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

You may be wondering why anyone would spend money on a book that teaches you how to survive a zombie outbreak. Or maybe, on the contrary, this makes all the sense in the world to you, and if so, feel free to skip my little paragraph on background. To the former, I assure you I am not crazy. Do read on.

I have spent many nights in my life suffering from insomnia. I've tried everything from medication to self-relaxation techniques, but when it hits you hard, there's little you can do but wait until sleep arrives. As I'm usually too tired to read or watch videos, I resort to leaving my mind free to wander to whatever it feels like at the moment. As it turns out, zombies are often the subject of my late night musings. I've spent countless hours wondering what I would do in the case of a zombie outbreak: where I would go to, how I would get there, what kind of supplies I would need to survive, etc. I'm not even sure why - I don't particularly care for zombie fiction or even actually believe in them - but there you have it. Finally, I did what I always do with my obsessions: find books written on the subject. And that's how I came across this one.

This is a small, but comprehensive guide against the living dead, that covers everything from symptoms (and how to recognize an outbreak), to weapons, to types of terrain, to starting over in the case of a complete zombie domination. It is by no means a detailed guide, since most topics only get a superficial treatment, and I doubt it would be enough in the case of an actual outbreak, but it's a start.

A little piece of advice. If, like me, you're thinking about getting this book in order to feel a bit more prepared and less obsessed with zombie attacks... Don't pick it up. Really. I actually had nightmares with zombies while reading this book (talk about being suggestible!) and I couldn't stop obsessing at how ill-prepared I was for dealing with an undead attack. In the end, my advice would be to live life to the fullest until the zombies come out... Because chances are you won't be able to survive.