sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot
SPOILER ALERT!

The Umbrella Academy vol. 1

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite - Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá

Back in June, I had the pleasure of meeting Gabriel Bá and his twin brother Fábio Moon in the opening of their exhibition at Mundo Fantasma, our local comic book shop. I had never heard of The Umbrella Academy series (which goes to show how out of comic book news I have been), but the cover caught my attention, and having Gabriel Bá signing it was a plus.

It's not usual for me to read the first chapter of a book, raise my head from it and go "What the hell just happened?", but that is exactly what happened with this book. It's probably the weirdest comic book series I've read so far, but I love weird, so that's a good thing.

The story is definitely reminiscent of the movie "The Royal Tenenbaums", as it describes a dysfunctional family of adopted kids and their "father" (he's hardly worthy of that title), who all grow up with special powers and become a most disgruntled and estranged group of individuals. But it becomes much more than that, a bit of science fiction mixed with a slightly gothic atmosphere.

SLIGHT SPOILER: I guess some people might take offense with the kind of "love" some of the siblings share, but honestly, they weren't really raised as brothers and sisters, it was more as if they were an organization of grown-up super heroes from the get-go. It's hardly surprising they turned out the way they did. In my opinion, it made for truly interesting characters, easily the best thing in this whole series.

I loved the artwork. Gabriel Bá's style is amazing, very angular and clean, and the colorist (Dave Stewart) did an absolutely beautiful job, with strange colors that complement the story perfectly. The story was good, slightly confusing at times, but I'm hoping that some loose ends will be tied up in the next volume. I'm certainly looking forward to it.