sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot
SPOILER ALERT!

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

It took me a long time to finish this book, and now that I have, I find myself torn at it. But first, how I came across it.

My mother bought this book and gave it to me because she had heard great things about it and knows about my book addiction. I have to admit that, at first, I wasn't very keen on reading this. I mean, giving a book a title that says "The Story of Some Fictional Character I have Never Heard of Before" does little to pique my interest. But I always read every book that is given to me, and decided to give it a try.

As an aside, I should say that, contrary to what I usually do, I didn't read this book in the original language - I read the Portuguese translation (by Patrícia Xavier). It was probably the first time in my life I've ever read such a great, nearly flawless translation.

Well, it's certainly very well written, without being difficult to read. I could feel myself in the places described, and the characters were believable enough. But I just couldn't find any empathy with them. I know that all human beings are flawed, and I'm not complaining about that (in fact, my favourite characters are always the flawed ones). No, it's just that I couldn't relate to or understand what they were doing, the decisions they made. I ended up not feeling either empathy nor, towards the end, any sympathy. The exception to this were the dogs. The dogs were great and I found myself really caring about what happened to them. But the humans? Not so much, and the only reason I can think of for this is because, like I said, I didn't understand what they did (and I'm usually a terribly empathic person with characters in books).

Also, the story had some pretty weird moments. I was a bit taken aback the first time something "supernatural" happened, although I understood its place in the story afterward. But most of it, specially the drama, was rather predictable. I mean, I kept expecting everyone to die. And sure enough, lots did, and even in the order I thought they would.

The ending... Well, without wanting to give away too much, it left me thinking, "Then what was the point to all this?". Maybe I just need more time to digest it. Maybe the book is supposed to be an enigma that never gets solved. Or maybe there really wasn't a point to it after all.