sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

The Boys: The Name of the Game Vol. 1

The Boys (Vol. 1) - The Name of the Game - Darick Robertson, Garth Ennis

This was... Interesting. I suppose. Hmm.

The story is about a CIA-backed brigade of people who are supposed to keep superheroes in check, because apparently all superheroes are vicious, murderous rapists, and just all-around horrible (super)human beings. And the only way to fight them is to get an equally vicious group of humans who hate them, give them a compound that effectively turns them into superheroes as well (the irony of the situation seems lost on the characters), and unleash them upon the "supes" to remind them who's boss.

I guess I just don't see the appeal of extremely gratuitous revenge stories like this, where most of the characters end up acting like caricatures of themselves, with only a couple of them being believably human. I'll still read the second volume to see if it gets any better, as some of the characters have potential... But I'm not keeping my hopes up.