sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot
SPOILER ALERT!

The Graveyard Book

Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Like I've done elsewhere in my reviews, I will start by saying that I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman and there hasn't been a book of his that I've read and haven't enjoyed in one way or another. And so, I admit, I'm a little biased.

But anyway. I was really looking forward to reading this book - it won a lot of awards and it has generally been acclaimed by people whose opinions I respect. The premise is really interesting - a boy, whose family is killed by a mysterious man at the beginning of the book (for reasons only revealed towards the end, but which are fairly easy to guess, at least in my opinion), is hidden and raised in a graveyard by its many eccentric and (essentially) dead inhabitants. I have to admit the plot itself didn't really capture my attention until the ending. I was instead enthralled by the description of the graveyard life. It was pretty fascinating to read about the different creatures, their ways of life, their quirks, their memories. Also, I loved the way Neil Gaiman explored the interaction between the living and the dead. The danse macabre, the hauntings, everything was impeccable.

I do have to say though, that the plot falls short to the rest. The ending is the only plot-driven part of the book, and it left me feeling rather unsatisfied. My main problem is with this: a prophecy thousands of years old that speaks of a boy who will destroy the Order if he lives? One of the Jacks tells Bod that they had been watching his family before sending someone to kill them. How did they know it was his family? What was so special about them? And why didn't they just kill his parents before they could have children? Better yet, why didn't the man Jack kill just the baby?

All in all, it was a lovely book (actually the word that comes to mind is "delicious", but I can't bring myself to use that word to describe a book). I wish I had read this as a child (physically impossible, I know). Then again, it would probably have made me want to move to a graveyard. The outside world sounds a lot more dangerous and unpleasant than anything that lived there.