sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

Going Postal: A Discworld Novel

Going Postal (Discworld, #33) - Terry Pratchett

Moist van Lipwig, con artist extraordinaire, finds himself at a crossroads in his life. Lord Vetinari, Ankh-Morpork's very own tyrant, saves him from being hanged and gives him a choice: die, or accept to be the city's new postmaster. This is easier said than done: the Post Office's staff is reduced to two rather quirky characters, the building is filled to the ceiling with decades of undelivered letters, and to top it off, the post has to compete with the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, a high-speed communications system that's been taken over by greedy corporations.

I really liked the main character, Moist. Too often in Discworld books the characters take a background stance and let the world itself be the protagonist, but in this case you have a really interesting, likable and fully developed cast, in addition to the clever exploration of human nature that Terry Pratchett usually brings into his books.

However, I do think this book tried to do too much: you had the character stories, the pins / stamps collecting, the debacle of old versus new technology, the greedy corporations versus passionate workers, time travel, banshees and Igors, hackers (or rather, crackers), the golems' emancipation, and so on.

Still, another good book from Terry Pratchett and the Discworld.

P.S. As I was reading this book I started to get a feeling of deja vu; then I remembered that I recognized the characters from Making Money, which I read back when I was a teenager. It's number 36 in the Discworld series and the sequel to this one. I admit, reading them out of order probably wasn't the smartest thing, but back then I hadn't heard of the concept of buying things online and had to make to with whatever books I could find, specially when it came to foreign books.

All this to say, from here on I'll probably stick to the right order.