sofiaromualdo

The Curious Curator's Book Blog

EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
Ken Baumann
How to Do Things with Videogames
Ian Bogost
Philosophie des jeux vidéo
Mathieu Triclot

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile - James Jean, Craig Hamilton, Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, Bill Willingham

I picked up the first volume of this collection because I had heard good things about it. The premise of taking the world of fairytales and blending it with our own seemed interesting enough, and I was curious to see how it would be approached.

I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The artwork is decent, and I liked the back story about the exile of the fairytale characters from their homelands. In fact, if I ever get another book in this series, it will be because I'm interested in knowing more about that story, because the plot for this one certainly didn't cut it. Basically you have a mystery that is neither complicated, unexpected or, in my opinion, as relevant as the characters make it out to be. I finished reading this and pretty much thought, "Who cares?". And the way it was presented wasn't particularly interesting either. The overall feeling was one of underwhelming.

Still, I will probably read another one from this series, not only for the reason I have explained, but also because I want to understand why everyone seems to like it so much.